Thanks to all for sharing. It's been a real pleasure reading the posts and seeing all the beautiful afghans. I don't know how you guys and gals find the time for all the posting (with all the crocheting going on!) but I am oh-so-glad you do! So maybe I'll share a bit too. My daughter and I started this together. This crochet project is her first. I last made a crocheted afghan 30 years ago. So both of us learned and relearned together. Off we went to Michaels for yarn shopping. She was very excited. Sadly our 3 local Michaels did not have sufficient quantities of compatible Bernat yarns in colors that I liked, so I picked out an organic cotton yarn in four neutral shades that I loved. My daughter went straight to the Bernat pastels and was in hog heaven! She loved the weekly clues and has learned lots of stitches. She is about 1/4 done, but considering her available time, she is doing well. She remains excited and loves to see how others are doing. As for me, I too, loved the clues and spoilers! Thanks! As I was laying out the finished pieces as suggested, I kept moving and rearranging them until they were a completely different "animal". I realized that I wanted something bigger so back to Michaels for more yarn and many more long nights of crocheting!!! I used "clue 1" pieces around the edges but I wanted a curvy border so I made some changes. Now they look like tear drops. The other clues are as suggested except - no "clue 4". I made "clue 4" in a variegated yarn that I ordered online, but I did not like the way it looked with the other yarn shades. 4 skeins wasted for now. I spent lots of time fussing with the layout. Then more time fussing with the border. There were many floppy parts around the outside, and I wanted the whole thing to look planned with a smooth edge. "Clue 8" gave the outside edge a uniform number of stitches. From that clue we then had the ability to create any kind of border. I went back to "clue 3" and used the stitch combo I learned from "row 5" to stabilize the floppy pieces. Also, I think it looks balanced to repeat a design used from one of the octagons on the border. My only regret is that I wanted a muted grape or rust as the 5th color. Sigh.....I am pleased however with the finished afghan. Wednesday my very proud boyfriend took the finished afghan to work to show it off. Got lots of good "strokes". Daughter and I had a ton of fun and want to thank Bernat for hosting this and all the posting crocheters for sharing so generously all your ideas and life events during this Mystery Tour. (This is my solution regarding cat fur. I have always had a furry cat in my life. I think of it as angora. So to those with angora afghans, you are not alone! Enjoy!)
I know this is long but I want to share our fun time with you and now my fingers are busy on a knitted afghan. Bernat, see what you started! LOL! Now I going to attempt to attach the pictures.
Reached max so will send in batches.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.