DOWNLOAD CAL CLUE 5
Download the blocking template - please print as "actual size" on your printer. NOT as "fit to page"
View text-only version of CAL Clue 5
You’ll need the Main Color (MC) for this clue.
Skills You’ll Learn
- Each skill in the list links to a video in our Video Library where you can learn the skill or remind yourself what to do.
- Hiding yarn tails as you go - This technique is a huge time-saver! Whenever you change colors or switch to a new ball of yarn, you can weave the yarn tails into the piece as you go and save yourself the trouble of weaving them in after you’re done. Though we’re doing single-colored motifs, keep this one in your back pocket and I promise it will come in handy.
- Magic Loop/Magic Circle - Also known as the adjustable ring, this is an alternative way of starting when you are going to be working in the round. The beauty of this technique is that you will end up with a nice tight circle in the center of your piece. Please note that we consider this an intermediate to advanced technique, and you may find it challenging. That said, stick with it and don’t forget to ask for help on the forum!
Other Skills You’ll Use
- Chain (ch)
- Double crochet (dc)
- Slip stitch (sl st)
- Reading a crochet chart
- Working into a chain-space
- Blocking motifs
- Depending on your crochet style, you may find your gauge differs on this clue compared to the others. I found this motif ended up too large on my first attempts, so those of you who have been going up a hook size may want to try your smaller hook first. Your mileage may vary.
- Make sure you measure your motifs when they are complete. Your octagons should measure 11” across and your squares should be 4.5”.
Any questions? You can discuss the clue here!
Please do not post any photos to this thread. They belong in the "Crochet-Along Clue 5: Spoilers and Photos" thread!
When you're done the week's clue, why not pat yourself on the back and add a badge to your signature?
Just open the User Control Panel's "Signature" page. In the field where you type your signature, add the code below and you'll be able to show off your progress! It's a good idea to replace last week's badge with this one so your signature isn't cluttered
- Code: Select all