Now it’s time to unveil the official layout and see how all of your motifs will come together. If you kept your ends long, this is the step where you use them up. Make sure you ‘travel’ with the yarn to a corner of your motif before you start seaming. This week’s clue will show you how to put the blanket together, but the recommended design isn’t mandatory! If you prefer one of the other designs in Blanket Possibilities, please feel free to get creative!
DOWNLOAD CLUE 7
Download the blocking template - please print as "actual size" on your printer. NOT as "fit to page"
View text-only version of CAL Clue 7
You’ll need any of your leftovers of A, B, C, and D for this clue. Note: you can use MC but try to save it where you can as we *might* be using it for the border.
Skills You’ll Learn
- Sew motifs through the back loops - There are many ways to seam motifs together, this is just the one called for in this pattern. It makes a nice flat seam and is relatively invisible. If you have a different method you prefer, feel free to use it.
- Weave in your ends - You’ll want to weave in and trim any leftover ends after you’re done seaming.
- I recommend printing the layout page and making a note of which shades you used for MC, A, B, C, and D. That way you’ll know what color to grab without getting confused. Likewise, you may find it useful to have all of the crochet chart pages handy to remind you which clue number is which. If you have a lot of room in your workspace you can also lay the motifs out in piles and label each pile.
- There are many ways to seam motifs together, but here’s one of the classics: Seam each row of motifs together separately. Then seam the rows!
- I recommend seaming using one of the shades represented in the motifs you’re seaming together. This will ensure your seam disappears into the background.
- The motifs are designed to have the same number of stitches on each side. You shouldn’t have to fudge the number of stitches as you seam too much, but do keep an eye out as you go to make sure you’re seaming evenly across each side.
Any questions? You can discuss the seaming process here!
When you’ve finished your squares, come show us what you think the order of the motifs will be in the "Crochet-Along Clue 7 (Week 8) : Spoilers and Photos" thread!
When you're done blocking all of your squares, you deserve a new badge! This one is more of a participation badge since this is a rest week.
Add a badge to your signature to show off your progress. Just open the User Control Panel’s “Signature” page, and enter the code below in the field where you type your signature, add the code below. It's a good idea to replace last week's badge with this one so your signature isn't cluttered.
- Code: Select all